Bancroft Gospel Ministry is the outgrowth of a mission established in 1924 by the late Miss Anna M. Lewis. Her desire was to share the news of her Savior with the people living in these mountains. Funds for the founding of the ministry were given by Miss Elisabeth Bancroft, of Baltimore, MD, in memory of her sister, Miss Lucretia Bancroft. Miss Lewis saw her dream of a Sunday School in the short hills near Kingsport, TN become a reality.
A new chapel was built, named Bancroft Chapel after Lucretia Bancroft, and served as the mission base under Miss Lewis’s direction.
Mr. and Mrs. Martin J. Perry arrived on December 31, 1927 to share in the ministry and upon the homegoing of Miss Lewis the ministry came under the care of Mr. Perry.
In 1938 the first summer camp was held in a location near where the camp now stands.
The work in 1954 became incorporated as Bancroft Gospel Ministry, a non -profit organization in the state of TN. BGM workers stepped out in faith, believing that God, in answer to prayer, would provide each need.
Upon the retirement of Martin Perry in November of 1979, Guy Tilley was appointed Executive Director. He served faithfully alongside his wife, Evelyn, until his retirement in April, 2006.
Roy and Evelyn Thomas came to Bancroft in 1984. They both have served faithfully until Roy went home to be with the Lord. Evelyn remains a faithful servant here at Bancroft
Jeff and Martha Dingus became full-time missionaries to BGM in November of 1988.
Guy served as Director Emeritus until the appointment of Keith Walsworth to the director position in October, 2009.
Keith Walsworth had been a part of Bancroft Gospel Ministry for 10 years at the time he accepted the position of director, having founded the Cumberland Area Pulpit Supply ( CAPS) in 2003.
Keith and his wife Brenda served from 2009 until September of 2014 when he accepted the call to the pastorate of a church in WV.
In January of 2019 Derrick Marrs accepted the position of Executive Director and began his full time ministry on June 1, 2019, just in time for summer camp.